Limerick women encouraged to attend free BreastCheck mammogram
26 May 2014
BreastCheck – The National Breast Screening Programme is encouraging women aged 50 to 64 from Limerick to avail of their invitation for a free breast mammogram (x-ray) in the BreastCheck mobile digital screening unit in the grounds of St Josephs Hospital, Mulgrave Street, Limerick.
BreastCheck encourages women to contact them if the appointment time or date doesn’t suit, as it can easily be changed by calling: (021) 4649700.
A BreastCheck mammogram is a simple procedure and the appointment only takes half an hour in total. BreastCheck urges any woman who receives an invitation for a free BreastCheck mammogram to attend her appointment. The aim of screening is to detect early breast cancer. The vast majority of women screened are found to be perfectly healthy, with less than one per cent diagnosed with breast cancer.
BreastCheck encourages all women aged 50 to 64 living in Limerick to check that they are on the BreastCheck register by calling Freephone 1800 45 45 55 or checking online at www.breastcheck.ie.
Once registered and known to the Programme they will automatically receive an appointment when BreastCheck is screening in their area.
BreastCheck encourages all women, regardless of age or participation in screening to remain breast aware at all times and to contact their GP without delay if they have any concerns regarding breast cancer.
Be breast aware
No matter what age you are, it is important to always be breast aware.
- Know what is normal for your body.
- Know what changes you should look for.
What changes should I look and feel for?
- Any lumps or unusual thickening in your breast
- Dimpling, puckering or redness of the skin
- A nipple that appears to be pulled-in or flattened
- A rash or flaky or crusted skin around the nipple
- A change in the size or shape of your breast
- Swelling in your armpit or around your collarbone
- Constant pain in one part of your breast or armpit
Aoife O’Sullivan, Communications, National Cancer Screening Service
Tel: 01 8659300